Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Imitate Me?

Daniel and I have been watching a parenting DVD by Chip Ingram that has really gotten us talking about how we are raising Kate and Cora, our strengths and weaknesses as parents, and how important it is to model the behavior and attitude we want our children to have. It's amazing how Kate watches us so closely and repeats things we say and do, saying things we don't even know she's heard although it's usually from one of us. When I heard her say, "I swear, honey. That stinks!" the other day after changing her diaper, I knew she'd heard that one from me. She's recently started spitting too because she sees her dear Daddy doing it. We're working on that bad habit now too!

And sweet little Cora, although still so little, is carefully observing and making mental notes of what her big sis is doing too. It's scary to think that I am under so much scrutiny and yet if I were living my life as I should, I wouldn't be so concerned.

In Ephesians 5:1-2, Paul tells us to: "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant offering and a sacrifice to God." Verse 1 is what really hit home to me today. As a child of God, I am called to imitate Him, that is, to be holy as He is holy (Lev. 11:44).

Am I living a holy life? I must set myself apart from the world, which pulls me in so many directions but always away from God. I need to rededicate my life to God every day, giving Him free rein. And I must allow His Spirit to work in me and help me to overcome sin. The stakes couldn't be any higher: our children are watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment