Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mexican Hot Chocolate

Winter is not my favorite season (and, yes, I know technically it isn't winter yet) because I don't like cold weather or being trapped in my house.  Today, despite chilly temperatures, the kids and I went outside to play.  We didn't stay out too long though, but when we ventured back inside, Kate requested hot chocolate.  That actually sounded pretty good, but what I really wanted was a Mexican Hot Chocolate like the one my friend Cristy and I used to get at a local coffee shop in my pre-children, grad school days.  Oh, the memories of that frothy, chocolatey, cinnamon-y goodness! 

So, I decided to (attempt to) recreate for the kids and me Java Joe's Mexican Hot Chocolate.  Surprisingly, it turned out pretty good!  Here's the recipe:

Mexican Hot Chocolate


 Ingredients
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or you could use 2 oz. semisweet chocolate)
3 cups whole milk or cream
Dash of cinnamon

1. Melt chocolate in water, stirring constantly until completely melted.  

 2. Mix in milk, and simmer for about 7 minutes.

3. Finish with a dash of cinnamon.  We like lots of cinnamon! 

4. Enjoy in your favorite Christmas mug!

Sorry I don't have a picture of the finished product in the mug, but it vanished VERY quickly!  Even our littlest drank some (cooled down of course) in her sippie cup.  Considering she usually won't drink milk, I was somewhat pleased that she downed this. 

What are your favorite hot drinks this time of year?

Blessings to you and yours!

Keri


No comments:

Post a Comment