Monday, August 6, 2012

A Tribute to Our Oldest Daughter

Our oldest daughter Kate started ballet today. She has been pirouetting and walking on her toes all morning in preparation for her first class. I don't know who was more excited--me or her--because I knew she would love her class. And she did.

As I look at our daughter, I see for the first time how quickly she is growing into a beautiful young girl. She is tall with a lithe figure, a perfect dancer's physique. Her gray-blue eyes, wavy dirty-blonde hair, and that sweet sprinkling of freckles on the bridge of her nose concern her Daddy and me because we know she will be a knock-out one day much too soon.

But her changes are not just physical. Kate is also growing emotionally and spiritually into a sweet girl who adores her little sisters and anticipates breakfast time when we read our daily Bible story. She is generally quick to do her chores and even helps Cora with hers without my prompting. Kate says wonderful prayers at mealtime that touch my heart as she remembers, even when I don't, people who are sick, traveling, or otherwise struggling. And she always reminds us that we need to pray before we eat.

As I stumble about in my attempts at mothering Kate, I admit that it's a struggle because we are so much alike. Both firstborns, both wanting things to go according to our own plans and getting frustrated when they don't, both a little stubborn in our desire for control. We butt heads more than I would like, but Kate has an independent spirit, a determination that drives her to hold firm in her beliefs and opinions. Right now, that spirit is in need of direction and shaping, but one day, Lord willing, she will be a woman of great courage and conviction.

Still, I can't help but smile as I watch my little ballerina twirl in all her beauty, innocence, and sweetness. She is becoming such a lovely daughter of the King, and I am so proud to call her mine.
Catherine Anne (Kate) Tidwell, age 3







No comments:

Post a Comment