Monday, September 17, 2012

What We Think, Therefore, We Are

Runner in snow
Photo Credit: Loren Sztajer
 
I'm a runner.

To type those three words sets me on edge. Why? Because less than three months ago, I was not a runner. I was a couch potato.

You may think me bold to declare myself a runner now after only 9 weeks. Especially since what I do right now can hardly be called "running"--it's more like jog-walking. And especially since yesterday's 2 mile run nearly killed me.

But I'm taking Jeff Goins' advice any way and calling myself a runner.

Why?

So I will act one.

That is, so I will...

  • Take my running seriously and stay committed even on days when the desire to move isn't there.

  • Pay closer attention to my diet--eating more proteins and complex carbs and fewer sweets.

  • Factor running in as a recurring activity on my weekly calendar and not just an "if-I-have-time-for-it" afterthought.

  • Drink more water throughout the day to keep hydrated, which is especially important for nursing.

  • Feel a sense of confidence in myself that I haven't had in a long time.

Calling myself a runner means not only do I act like a runner, but I also think like one. I am adopting new habits that encourage a healthier lifestyle, and I feel happier and more energetic than I have in a long time.

What about you?

Are you afraid to identify yourself by a title for fear that you aren't quite there yet? 

Maybe you aspire to be an artist, a writer, a gentle mother, or even a Christian but don't think you quite live up to the standards others have set for those titles.

Let me encourage you to bravely step out in faith and declare your title for the world to hear {or read}. You WILL begin to act and think like one if you truly believe that you are one.


What title have you shirked from because you don't feel you measure up?


Praying God's blessings on you as you grow in His glory,
Keri Tidwell, Runner

Linking to: The Better Mom, Time-Warp Wife, Growing Home, Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers

4 comments:

  1. Speaking things into being is a biblical concept. God allows man to name the animals, as he has given man dominion over them. To name yourself WRITER or RUNNER or CHRISTIAN or HUSBAND is to declare that this is true.
    James Joyce said that "I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day." This begins with a simple declaration of what you are.
    We are defined mostly by the way others perceive us. We are called SON or DAUGHTER or BOY or GIRL or BOYFRIEND or GIRLFRIEND. We are called REPUBLICAN or DEMOCRAT or CONSTRUCTION WORKER or MANAGER or METHODIST or JEWISH. We are labeled and sorted, and this provides identity.
    Even Jesus is defined, primarily by His Father, who declares "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Jesus understands the power of this; After asking the disciples to tell him what others say of him, he asks "Who do you say I am?" It is then that he is called by Peter, "The Christ." Later, when Pilate asks Jesus if he is King of the Jews, Jesus replies "You have said it."
    Parents are given this awesome responsibility with their children...to name them. I have known in my life many JEREMYs who acted like JEREMYs, many BILLYs who have acted like BILLYs, many MARGARETs who have acted like MARGARETs. There is an absolute power in naming something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the recent months I've begun calling myself a "peaceful mother", one that takes time for her children and isn't always rushing from one task to the next. Your post helped me realize what I was doing, and why somedays I don't act peaceful (in my thoughts I'd began to criticize myself for hurrying, thereby changing my "name"). thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great, Paige. I need to start calling myself a "peaceful mother" too. I love that! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I have such a fear of calling myself many things because honestly I just don't feel like I've made it yet. Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I will have the confidence to step out in faith and as I think in my heart so I will become.

    ReplyDelete