Saturday, December 15, 2012

How long, O Lord?

Untitled
Photo Credit: quiet wave photos

"How long, O Lord, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, 'Violence!'
but you do not save?

Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds."

Habbakuk 1:2-3

Untitled
Photo Credit: quiet wave photos

"Your eyes are too pure to look on evil;
you cannot tolerate wrong.
Why then do you tolerate the treacherous?
Why are you silent while the wicked
swallow up those more righteous than themselves?"

Habbakuk 1:13

Untitled
Photo Credit: quiet wave photos

"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights."

Habbakuk 3:17-19

Untitled
Photo Credit: quiet wave photos
     
     Oh, Lord, I do not understand why the wicked prosper and the innocent suffer. I cannot comprehend why You allow violence and destruction when You Yourself "are too pure to look on evil." My heart breaks as I watch the events of this evil world unfold and know that there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop it. 

     But I have hope, Lord, that You are in control. This unnecessary death and destruction will end. Evil and injustice will not prevail. You will! You are mightier, your ways eternal, and You will deliver Your people...in Your time. Help me, Lord, to take confidence in Your promises, to trust in Your goodness and faithfulness, and to rejoice that You will overcome evil. You are our God and Savior always and forever, Amen.

1 comment: