Saturday, August 31, 2013

Homeschooling Kindergarten: What I'm Learning (Day 10)

Yesterday marked day 10 of our homeschool adventure. {My goal is to give periodic updates on our progress.}

I went into homeschooling with an open mind (If you know me, then you know that's totally a God thing). Our oldest is not quite 5 and kindergarten is not mandatory in our state, so we don't have to start her this year or even the next. So, in one sense I've been laid back regarding what we accomplish in a given day.

However, I don't want to set a precedent that school time isn't important and allow other activities to interfere. Routine and consistency are so important for children and for Mamas, and if we are going to really give this our best effort, we have to be committed.

Still, my lofty plans for a full-fledged kindergarten program with everything from art to geography have not quite come to fruition. 

But you know what?

I'm okay with that.

Rather than force my daughter to sit and "do school" for hours at a time, I've opted for a gentler approach--a mix between letting her lead and being firm in areas where she really needs to persevere. Yes, even kindergarteners need to learn the value of hard work and not giving up.

So, what does our home school look like right now?

This . . .



And this . . .


And this . . .


We're capitalizing on the 3 R's and letting everything else--the science, history, music, art, etc.--work its way in when we feel like it.

And you know what? 

We're having fun :)


What about you? How is your homeschooling going thus far?

Blessings to you,

Linking up to these lovely parties.

If you would like to have posts delivered to your inbox, click: Growing in His Glory. Or join us on Google Friend ConnectFacebookTwitter, & Pinterest.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Wow! If Kate is reading that book already, then I say your doing a GREAT job!! :) I share the same philosophy as you. Some of the best learning takes place when you read a good book, so this is how we do a lot of our history and geography lessons. Keep it up, you're already ahead of the game if you can see that you don't need to formerly teach everything. Another thing, I give you credit for piecing together your own curriculum, rather than buying a kit. That's what most first timer do. That's what I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great start. Happy schooling!!!
    -Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks just like our homeschool day! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete