Thursday, August 4, 2011

5 Things I Need to Work on Today


"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24
(1) Having more patience with my children. To say this has been a rough week would be an understatement. Our oldest daughter has been exceptionally defiant and whiny, and when she refuses to obey and acts disrespectful, I easily lose my cool. She definitely knows how to push my buttons, and I have acted like a monster mom the past few days because I have allowed my frustrations with her to spiral out of control. Also the baby has been napping erratically and the crying has not helped either.

(2) Having a more positive attitude. I think this week has been so unpleasant in part because of my bad attitude. I started off the week dreading it, and ever since Monday morning, I have been living for the weekend. We've been in a bit of a rut lately that I need to work us out of instead of ignoring it and hoping things will change on their own.

(3) Turning to God, not food or the computer, for comfort. I have gotten really bad at eating when I'm having a rough day and it shows. I've also discovered that after dealing with a child in a less than ideal manner that instead of turning to God for guidance and strength as I should, I am turning to my computer to drown everything out so that I don't have to think about what I should have said or done. It's part of my passive aggressive nature that I have to make a conscious effort to change.

(4) Stopping to smell the roses. My to-do list overwhelms me, and since I didn't do anything yesterday--my birthday--I had extra chores that had to be accomplished today. As a result, we haven't done a single fun thing today. I think we'll venture out of the house this afternoon for a little fun. Everyone in this house could use a change of scenery, myself included.

(5) Not worrying so much. I start back at one of my Bible studies tonight, which I have really been looking forward to. Last night, though, we had some horrible storms that kept both children up way too late, so I am actually dreading the thought of leaving Daniel with both of the girls. It's so easy for me to make excuses for why I can't do something when a lot of the time I am just worrying about "what might happen." I need to turn all my worries over to God and trust that my husband can take care of the girls without me.

What are you struggling with today? Feel free to share so we can pray for each other.

Blessings to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment