Friday, March 11, 2011

The Finer Things: Quiet Time for Mommy


I read A LOT of mommy blogs, and my favorite thing on Fridays is to read the "Finer Things Friday" posts where people write about something that happened during their week that was really special. It can be anything, even something as simple as a freshly-made bed or finding a new favorite recipe. For example, The Diaper Diaries, one of my new favorite mommy blogs, wrote this great post that inspired me to attempt to make "Finer Things Friday" a part of my weekly repertoire as a way to look back at my week and assess where we've been and where we're going.

Looking back over this week's events, I feel like life is returning to normalcy (or at least as normal as it can with a 2-year-old and 5-month-old). Cora is settling more into a routine at night, sleeping 6-9 hours at a time, which has certainly improved my own nighttime rest, and most days takes three decent naps. As long as she is well-rested and has a full belly, Cora is the happiest child, cooing and smiling. But when she is tired or hungry, watch out! Her cries sound like she's being violently attacked, which is embarrassing when you are at the grocery store or doctor's office, and everyone is staring at you like you must be pinching her. (By the way, both events occurred this week.) I don't think a day has gone by since she was born that one of those terror-inducing screams hasn't escaped her little lungs.

With Kate we are constantly struggling to rein in her strong will and independent spirit without stifling her. Some days I feel like I am spanking or sending her to her room all day long. Still, when she isn't being stubborn and bossy, she is a fun, happy kid who loves reading, learning new things, and doing everything HERSELF. On Wednesday while Cora napped, Kate and I went outside to fly her Buzz Lightyear kite. Well, that was a fiasco! She wanted to fly it by herself and ended up getting 3 feet of string wrapped around her legs and feet and consequently throwing a temper tantrum because of her frustration at not being able to do what she so desperately wanted to do.

Despite the craziness of my life right now, I am blessed because at this very moment I am sitting in the peace and quiet of my house doing exactly what I love most: writing. And the best part is that both of my girls are sleeping at the same time! And that is definitely a "finer thing" in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment