Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Starting the Garden




Yesterday while Cora napped Kate and I ventured outside and set to work planting the garden. Hoe in hand I made four very crooked rows and then Kate scattered plant food in the rows, around the rows, and everywhere! She wanted to help. Then, we planted about 40 onion bulbs and two rows of bibb and buttercrunch lettuce. Kate picked flowers while I covered the bulbs and seeds with the soft dirt. Then, we both watered the garden: Kate with her watering pail and I with mine. Of course, Kate spilled most of the water on the way from the house to the garden.

Still, hopefully working in the garden together now will develop a love of planting in the future. I remember my parents making my brother and me work in the garden: planting seeds, watering, weeding, and picking vegetables. I didn't like it at the time because I didn't see the point, but now as an adult, I am glad they made me do those things because now I know how to grow my own food. That is a life skill that I want our children to have too.

Next week I plan to fertilize the seeds/bulbs and will take some pictures of the progress. Also, I will transplant the lettuce and onions from the starter pots that I planted last month. Below is a picture of the pitiful looking onions.



Kate threw a fit because she adamantly did NOT want her picture taken. We've already hit the teen years and she's only 2 1/2! So this is all I got, but notice the beautiful lettuce!

No comments:

Post a Comment