Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Potty-Training Boot Camp: 1 Week Later

Well, if you have been following me on my potty-training journey and all the stops along the way, then you may be interested in knowing how our Kate is doing after seven days of no diapers or pull-ups (except at night time).

I am very pleased to say that we have had ZERO accidents during wake time. Kate has been wearing her big girl panties from the time she wakes up until bedtime. She very independently goes potty when she needs to without any assistance from her daddy or me.

Lest you think I have a special child, let me preface these comments by saying that my daughter is very stubborn; she is the quintessential "strong-willed child." Only when she sets her mind to do something will she do it. This has certainly been true with potty-training; however, I have had to do some serious hustling to get her motivated (i.e., removing all diapers and pull-ups and telling her that she will no longer be wearing them). Tough love, I know.

Today, I had to take the baby for her check-up and of course Kate came too, and I honestly forgot to ask her if she needed to go potty while we were at the doctor's office {I am just so accustomed to her going without being told now.}. So, I was surprised and a little upset at myself when we were about to leave and Kate said she needed to go potty. Fortunately, there was a nice clean bathroom nearby, and we averted any accidents.

Needless to say, I am very proud of my daughter, who is also very proud of herself and her accomplishments.

Now don't think we've got this potty-training thing completely knocked out. We have attempted 3 different nights with training pants (no diapers) at Kate's suggestion, and 2 of the 3 nights have resulted in wet sheets. I hate to wake her up at night to make her go potty because it takes her FOREVER to go to sleep. But aside from withholding liquids before bedtime, I am not sure what else to do. Any suggestions, experienced Mamas?
Blessings to you!

This post is linked to Things I Love Thursday because having only one child in diapers is something I certainly something to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment