Wednesday, April 27, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

On Sunday afternoon Daniel and Kate planted twenty tomato plants in our garden that Pop Pop, Daniel's grandfather, gave us last week. So, now we have four rows of tomatoes, two rows of lettuce as well as a large pot behind the house, and two rows of onions.

As you can see, we seriously need to do some weeding!







We ate a good bit of the lettuce in the pot last night with our supper. Delicious! So tender and sweet! Call me cheap, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $4.00 for organic lettuce this week. So we are eating our own, homegrown.



I also have planted some herbs that are slowly starting to sprout. This rainy weather has been good for the greens, but we'll need some sun in order for the tomatoes to produce.

This snowball bush is one that came originally from my Mema and Papa Garner's house and now grows at my parents'. I have many fond memories of the snowball bush growing up, and in many ways, it serves as a visual reminder of my family, even though my grandparents are no longer with us. I plan to take it with us whenever we move from here one day.



Also, I just got an email today that I won some organic seeds in a giveaway from Amy's Finer Things. YEA!!! I'll be getting some garlic chives, Peruvian purple chile, and Victoria sage. I've been wanting to plant some sage and buy chives every year, so these seeds will come in handy! Plus, our family loves peppers. I have never heard of Peruvian purple chiles--sounds exotic--but I'll let you know how they turn out.

What are you growing?

No comments:

Post a Comment