Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 5: A Bird Singing in the Midst of a Storm



It was 5:30 a.m. Thunder rumbled outside, shaking the house. The baby was crying, and the rain poured down so hard, I could almost see the weeds growing in our garden. The power had gone off, and Daniel was getting ready for work in the dark. I said a little prayer as he showered, fearful of the lightening. I couldn't sleep. Thunderstorms always terrify me, especially living in Middle Tennessee, where tornadoes pop up in a moment's notice.

But then I heard a beautiful sound rising up amidst the booming thunder and pounding rain. It was a bird, and it was singing in the tree right outside my bedroom window. Not a frantic cry for help but a sweet melodious song shut out the clamorous noise outside and filled my entire being with peace.

It was God.

I knew it as soon as I heard the "chirrup chirrup chirrup." He was speaking to me through the music of His creation, calming me, easing my fears, and assuring me that everything was going to be all right.

And it was.

Shortly thereafter, the baby stopped crying, and we both drifted off to sleep.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes God appears when we least expect it to show us that He is there with us even when we are scared and feel all alone.

Sometimes God doesn't just want us to look for Him; He wants us to listen for Him.

Thank You, God, for speaking to me through that little bird today. Thank You for taking away my anxiety and filling me with peace.
"The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear?" Psalm 27:1

No comments:

Post a Comment