Friday, June 24, 2011

Lemon-Dill Potato Salad

If you read my post from earlier today about growing your own herbs, then I hope this recipe further inspires you to buy some seeds and start planting. Fresh dill on a hot summer day is a balm unlike any other, except, of course, homemade ice cream.

I found this recipe on the Food Network's website but modified it to use the ingredients I had on hand and also to make it slightly healthier. I love the freshness and color of the potato salad with the lemon and dill and think this is the perfect picnic dish.

I apologize for the poor picture quality; the potato salad really does look much better than this.

Lemon-Dill Potato Salad


Total time: 30 min.
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 20 min.

Ingredients
3 pounds potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste

Instructions
1. Place potatoes in a pot filled with cold salted water, and cook over medium-high heat for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
2. While potatoes are cooking, put peas in a colander and place on top of the pot of potatoes. Blanch for about 45 seconds or until cooked.
3. When potatoes are finished cooking, drain and place potatoes to cool for a bit in a large bowl.
4. While potatoes cool, mix together peas, onion, dill, yogurt, mayo, and lemon zest.
5. Pour dressing over potatoes and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss to coat.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 6 servings.

Verdict:
My husband liked it but suggested less dill next time. I think I added more than the recommended 2 tablespoons, but that is what I liked most about this recipe. So, if you are not a big dill fan, then you might shoot for 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons. I loved it though and ate potato salad for lunch every day this week. My mom and some friends came over for an impromptu lunch yesterday and, thankfully, I still had a little bit of this potato salad left to serve. Everyone enjoyed it, and I hope you do, too.

This post is linked to Finer Things Friday at www.amysfinerthings.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment