Friday, June 24, 2011

Frugal Fridays: Growing Your Own Herbs

One of my favorite things about summertime is the availability of fresh herbs. As soon as the ground warms up, I plant my seeds in eager anticipation. I love being able to go outside and snip what herbs I need for cooking and not have to run to the grocery store where I'd have to pay $3-5 for a small 1-2 ounce packet.

I have grown herbs for many years simply because they are so easy to plant and maintain. All you have to do is plant the seeds, water, and let God do the rest. Honestly, even if you have a black thumb like me, you can grow herbs!

Here are a few pictures of my herb garden.

Basil

Dill


Rosemary


Lemon Balm


Oregano


I also have pots of herbs all around my house.

More Basil


Thyme


Apple Mint


Growing your own herbs is easy, affordable and fun. If you grow perennials like oregano, rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, and lavender, they will come back year after year. You can purchase the plants or you can just buy a packet of seeds from the dollar store, which is what I usually do. The basil, chives, thyme, rosemary, and lemon balm all originated from seeds, and each seed packet cost under $1. Now that's frugal!

Plus, you will save even more money if you harvest your herbs and dry them for future use. I like to dry my lavender (not pictured) and put it in vases in my children's rooms because of its calming qualities. It also looks and smells wonderful. I have also dried herbs to use in cooking.

Yes, you can buy dried or fresh herbs from the store, but when it's so easy and inexpensive to grow your own, why not give it a try?

Do you grow your own herbs? If so, how do you use them?

This post is linked to Frugal Fridays at www.lifeasmom.com











No comments:

Post a Comment