Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Blessings

I didn't do my usual "Finer Things Friday" post about the blessings of this past week, so I have decided to post them today because our sermon at church this morning really hit home about the importance of being content. Contentment is a constant prayer request for me, much like watching my tongue.

I just have to get on Facebook and see what everyone else is doing and suddenly nothing I'm doing is exciting enough or good enough. But then as I think back over my week, I know I haven't gone anywhere fun or made any life-changing decisions or had anything extraordinary happen and yet it's the simple things that have really made the biggest impact.

(70) Our oldest daughter's Mother's Day Out program and watching her sing and do the motions to "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." Even when her spider visor fell down over her face, she kept going and didn't miss a beat!

(71) Also, hearing her sing her Bible song and recite her memory verse and knowing that she is exactly where she needs to be;

(72) Crying tears of joy mixed with sadness that my little girl is growing up;

(73) The sweet innocence of our youngest as she grabs a blade of grass for the first time;

(75) A husband who tries to help me as much as he can and knowing he truly adores his girls;

(76) A visit to Gram-Gram and Papa's cabin with the girls: catching frogs and paddling in the canoe;

(77) Pictures (finally!) of our youngest--now 7 months old--taken by a good friend and excellent photographer on a beautiful spring day;

(78) Getting a speeding ticket and realizing I need to slllllllooooooooooooooooow down (in more ways than one);

(79) The CBS Share Day Brunch: Some precious time to eat, fellowship, and worship God with other Christians;

(80) Summer Break! I know I have been dreading it, but my perspective is changing--thanks to many prayers and a faithful God--and I'm actually looking forward to a change of pace and a new routine for the summer.

(81) The re-opening of the Rutherford County Farmers' Market and meeting the farmers who supply much of our family's produce until our own garden comes in; and

(82) Quiet time to read, think, and write while the little ones sleep.

As I strive to be like Christ each day and to learn contentment, my prayer is that I will be able to say as Paul did:
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

Philippians 4:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment