Sunday, May 22, 2011

What Do the Books on Your Nightstand Say about You?


Does my nightstand look like yours? Yes, to say I like to read is an understatement. I am always looking for the next great book to read and will spend hours searching blogs for like-minded mommies' favorite books just to get some inspiration.


Did you know that you can learn a lot about a person by the books beside her bed?

If you analyze the titles on my nightstand, you might deduce that:

1. I am a Christian (See my two Bibles, a daily devotional and Bible commentary, plus two Christian books--Crazy Love by Francis Chan and Five Lies that Ruin Relationships by Chip Ingram--that I am reading in two different Bible studies.)

2. I am a mommy (A new book I received for Mother's Day from my own Mommy is here: The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers by Meg Meeker, M.D. and Babywise II by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam).

3. I am a mommy of a strong-willed child and in desperate need of guidance (Did you see James Dobson's The New Strong-Willed Child and Tedd Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart? Those are constant re-reads for me!)

4. I am a Southerner (You might not have been able to see my Southern Living magazine, but it's a favorite read for this Tennessee gal. I love to pore over these mags for new recipes, gardening advice and decorating tips.)

5. My house and life need some serious organization help (See One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds and my recent post.)

6. I like some variety (Yeah, there are 11 books and 1 magazine on my nightstand. I can't read just one book at a time; I need to spice it up a bit. Yeah, I know, those are some salacious books.)

I'm sure there are other insights about me that you could glean simply by closely perusing my nightstand.

Notice what is not there.

There are no romance novels, no chick lit, no sci-fi or historical fiction. Really there's no fiction at all. However, that's rare. I LOVE me a good mystery or a classic piece of literature to ponder over. But right now, I'm just not in that frame of mind. Maybe next week.

What's on your nightstand? What might others perceive about you from the books you're reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment