Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week One: A Ministry of Motherhood Book Club

This week marks the beginning of our summer book club, and we are IN THE WORD! Let me just say that I look forward to waking up each morning, drinking my coffee and diving into the scripture reading for the day. What a wonderful way to start the day!

The method we are using in this Bible study is called S.O.A.P., which is an acronym for:

Scripture
Observation
Application
Prayer

First, we read and write out the daily Scripture.

Then, we write down 1-2 Observations from the passage. What do I glean from reading this verse?

Next, we write down 1-2 Applications from the passage. How does this verse apply to me and my present situation?

Finally, we Pray over what we have learned from the passage.

This method has really helped me to internalize what I am reading because I am applying it to where I am right now. Too often I read my Bible and hope something sticks, but the S.O.A.P. method forces me to dig a little deeper.

This week we have read verses that stress the Lord's sovereignty and our dependence on Him:

(1) Psalm 127:1 "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain."
(2) John 15:4-5 "Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me. I am the Vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me, you can do nothing."
(3) Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well."

I have expressed the overarching theme of these verses in my prayer below.

Dear Lord,

Help me today, as a Mommy of two little girls, to remember that I can't go through it without you. I can't do it alone, and I know that I don't go it alone because You are always with me. Remind me, Lord, that apart from You, I can do nothing. I must depend solely on You today and every day.

Help me to seek You first in every situation. Relinquish my fears. You promise to provide all my needs if I will but trust in You. I am committing this day to You, Lord. Thank You for Your faithfulness.

In Jesus' name,
Amen.

If you aren't in a daily Bible study and are looking for one, why don't you join us at Goodmorninggirls.org?




No comments:

Post a Comment