Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ten Things I Don't Do

1. Crafts. Yes, I know stay-at-home moms are supposed to be crafty. I should love making things out of pipe cleaners and sequins. But, first of all, I am not creative and have no idea what to do with said pipe cleaners and sequins. And, secondly, I can't stand the mess crafting makes, especially with a two-year-old. However, give me some paints, crayons, stickers or markers and I can go to town. Maybe if I had some "no mess" craft ideas from crafty people...You know who you are.

2. Dust. I know there must be somebody out there who enjoys dusting but for me I would rather clean the bathroom every day than dust. I think I was traumatized by dusting as a child when I had to remove, dust, and then put back in the right place every little knick-knack my mom set out. Trust me; there were LOTS of them. And my house is no different. Lately, I've been packing up and "Goodwilling" such knick-knacks that have no sentimental value or attachment just so I MIGHT consider dusting more often. Still, I don't dust unless we have company coming over.

3. Scrapbook. I know with two little girls I really should be making scrapbooks of all their wonderful achievements, but that just takes too much time, too much creativity, and way too much thinking. The one scrapbook I ever made was of our honeymoon. Wow! I spent three whole days working on that baby and decided then and there not to do them ever again. I would much rather take a slew of pictures and write about them, but that's just how I roll.

4. Pluck my eyebrows. I can probably count on my one hand the number of times I have had a brow wax and every single time I said I would never do it again. The pain is ridiculous and I can't stand paying money for something that hurts. Yes, I gave birth naturally and it was extremely painful, but that pain brought forth life. Plucking and waxing only produces tears and lightens my wallet, and I would much rather spend my money on a Dairy Queen blizzard.

5. Exercise regularly. Don't get me wrong I know I need to exercise and I do want to get this flabby body movin', but my youngest still naps 2-3 times a day and there just doesn't seem to be a good time to do it. I suppose I could pull out the double stroller and go for a walk but inevitably one, if not both, children will be bored and/or crying within 15 minutes, which doesn't translate into much of a workout. Still, when Daniel is home early at nights and occasionally on the weekends, we'll go to the Greenway and walk, which I really enjoy. I do need to figure this one out.

6. Keep up with the latest trends. Some people call me "crunchy" because I could care less about what's "in" and wear whatever I find on sale. Honestly, I just can't justify spending our hard-earned money on trends that go as fast as they come when I have a perfectly good cell phone, t.v., sound system, car, clothes, or whatever. Those things just don't matter to me. I guess I would rather put my money in organic foods for our family or a new book. But, hey, everyone's different.

7. Drive at or below the speed limit. I know I posted the other day about needing to slow down, especially after my speeding ticket. : ) But I still have a hard time doing it. I figure if I drive five miles over the speed limit I'm still safe because what police officer will stop me for going five over, right? Watch me get pulled over doing just that!

8. Allow our girls to wear two-piece bathing suits. I remember last year someone wanted to buy our oldest--a two-year-old!--a bikini, and, very politely, I had to nip it in the bud. Some people think it's cute, but I think it sends the wrong message to my children and to others. Our girls are not meant to be viewed as objects but as treasures of God, and we as parents need to remember that when we dress them.

9. Watch reality television shows. I have never been a fan of reality TV. Yes, I have watched The Bachelor, Survivor, American Idol, and The Apprentice and probably others that I can't think of right now, but watching those shows only makes me see how shallow and silly people can be, especially when in front of a camera. I know people watch those shows as a way to escape their own reality, but I'd much rather watch a show like Parenthood or Modern Family if I want to see something silly.

10. Iron. Like dusting, I think ironing is an outdated, useless task. I mean as soon as you iron out a shirt's wrinkles they come right back. I guess I don't know how to iron properly or maybe I don't have a good iron, but when it takes thirty minutes to press two shirts, I can think of about 300 other things I would rather be doing. So now I only buy clothes that are wrinkle-free or poor Daniel wears wrinkled clothes.

What are some things you don't do?

2 comments:

  1. We are kindred spirits! As far as the scrap-booking, I do enjoy it, but no time! I wanted our children to each have a Life Scrapbook by the time they graduate from high school, so they take Scrap-booking in 4-H and are required to do so many pages each year. Problem solved!

    I'm working on the whole exercise thing because I'm overweight and it pleases my hubby when I am active. But I cannot stand exercise machines or videos...So I've taken to hiking in the woods with my 30 lb 21 month old strapped to my back! Sweaty momma = happy baby + happy hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Cheryl! Wow! 30 pounds! What a workout! Yes, one day I will get back into shape. Right now I just sprint from crawling infant to running toddler and that gets my heart racing, if for only a second. : )

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete