Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 11: Fun @ the Wilderness Station


Last night I went to bed unsure of what we would do for our "play" time the next day. That's uncharacteristic of me, the gotta-have-a-plan lady. So, when we stopped at the park and saw oodles of kids and their mamas heading into the Wilderness Station, I thought I might just be in luck. And I was. 


Today was "Wild Things," a hands-on, sing-songy class for young nature lovers. I took Kate a few times when she was 18 months old, but for some reason we never went back. 

Our leader, Miss Denise, knows a lot about nature and as she led us in songs about different animals, she would tell interesting facts about the animals. For instance, did you know that the only animal that will eat a skunk is the Great Horned Toad, and that's only because he can't smell!

Miss Denise reading a fun nature book


The girls were reticent for most of the program but finally relaxed during arts & crafts time when they put together and colored a crawdad puzzle.


 I was impressed at how quickly Kate put the puzzle pieces together.

Cora just loves glue sticks!

Then, Miss Denise pulled out a really cool parachute, and I got to relive my middle school P.E. class with my own children. We shoooooook it. Then we went up and down, up and down, up and down. Finally, we ran underneath. The girls {and I} LOVED it!  

 Do you remember playing with a parachute in P.E.?

Cora got a kick out of running under the parachute.

What a blessing to have stopped by the park and noticed all the kids going into the Wilderness Station! We had a great time together plus we learned a little more about the animals living around us. 

Do you have a nature center or park nearby that offers classes for children? Do you ever take your kids? 

Blessings to you,

Keri

For comments or questions, contact me at: growinginhisglory@gmail.com

Find Growing in His Glory on Facebook.

I would love to see more of you!  If you are encouraged by what you read here and would like to have posts from Growing in His Glory delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here.  Or you can subscribe in a reader of your choice in the right sidebar.


This post is linked to:



No comments:

Post a Comment