Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 13: Moon Sand


{Curious about what we're doing? Check out our prior "31 Days of Play" posts.}

Have you ever heard of moon sand? You can buy it at Target or Wal-Mart, but I never have although I've been curious. So, when I saw this recipe for moon sand, I thought it looked easy enough that we'd give it a try. I bought a 32 oz. bag of sand at JoAnn's for $1.50 after a 50% off coupon, and the rest of the ingredients I had on hand.

Moon Sand

What You Need

2 cups colored sand {I colored mine with food coloring; beware: it does dye your skin temporarily}
1 cup corn starch
1/2 cup water

Mix ingredients together.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just say, when you make moon sand {or at least this recipe for it--apparently, there are several different ones out there}, you have to follow the amounts exactly. No guessing or approximating, people.

Otherwise you get this...

A big blue monster-baby with chocolate-chip face

Cora didn't know what to think of the moon sand. She immediately started slathering it on her arms like it was lotion or something. Kate and I couldn't stop laughing.

Notice the little muffin in her right hand.

Still holding that muffin

Contemplating taking a bite of said muffin but Mama intervened

Still, the moon sand has a nice texture, much like sand at the beach. It probably would have been more enjoyable had Mama been prepared with some buckets and shovels or at least some small toys to hide in the sand. Alas, we just marveled at how cool it felt in our hands. Then, I realized that the food coloring on the sand was dyeing our skin bluish-green, so we hosed off and ran inside to change clothes.




Inside we found a little friend had camped out in our kitchen sink. Not sure how he got there, but he was hiding under a dish and jumped right up at me when I lifted the dish out of the sink. It scared the living daylights out of me! Kate was afraid he'd eat us up, but I calmed her fears and we released him into the wild. 



It was a fun-filled day of icky blue-green sand and amphibians at the Tidwell house. 

How about you? Did you have fun with your kids today?

Blessings to you,

Keri
For comments or questions, contact me at: growinginhisglory@gmail.com

Find Growing in His Glory on Facebook.

I would love to see more of you!  If you are encouraged by what you read here and would like to have posts from Growing in His Glory delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here.  Or you can subscribe in a reader of your choice in the right sidebar.


This post may be linked to:





No comments:

Post a Comment