Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 9: Edible Play Dough


On Day 9 of our "31 Days of Play" challenge, Kate and I made edible play dough, something I've been wanting to try for a while now but hadn't because I was too busy. Ha! I found a really good recipe that worked like a charm as far as play dough goes. Plus, as long as you don't have peanut allergies, you can eat it up...nom nom nom.

Kate stirring up the play dough. Yeah, we're still in our night gown. 

Edible Play Dough
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Helpful hint: Spray measuring cup with cooking spray before adding peanut butter and honey; they will slide out easily. Store unused play dough in airtight container in refrigerator.

Kate had a go at the play dough this morning while I fixed breakfast and her sissy slept. Let's just say, she only played with it for about 5 minutes. 

But after naps this afternoon, we pulled out our play dough tools, some tooth picks, and our edible play dough and went to town working our mad sculpting skills. The play dough is very pliable, easily rolled out and shaped, and, in my opinion, works better than the store-bought stuff. Plus, it tastes so much better. 

The girls and I played together for nearly 30 minutes. I think that would largely be attributed to Mama's involvement in the fun because, well, it's still a novelty :)

Le Snail 

Striped Snake 

 Gingerbread Man with Shield {She later crafted a sword, too.}

Le Hop Hop

The edible play dough was definitely a hit although I wouldn't try this one close to meal times because you your child might fill up on it. Also, you might want to remind your young children that while you can eat this play dough, you should not eat the store-bought stuff. Mine found that out the hard way :)

Have you ever made edible play dough? 

Blessings to you,


Keri

For comments or questions, contact me at: growinginhisglory@gmail.com

Find Growing in His Glory on Facebook.

I would love to see more of you!  If you are encouraged by what you read here and would like to have posts from Growing in His Glory delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here.  Or you can subscribe in a reader of your choice in the right sidebar.


This post is linked to:



4 comments:

  1. GREAT GREAT recipe!! Wishing I had children young enough to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing on my link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this one with my older kids. They absolutely love peanut and play dough butter (and any excuse to "cook").

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keri! I can't tell you how much I love this post! One of my favorite kid toys is Playdough, and I'm anxiously awaiting the day my baby is big enough to get her hands into it. Edible playdough...be still my heart! I just don't know how much would end up going into my mouth while we played. Thanks so much for sharing this at Monday Mom Musings! I'd love to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelli, I freely admit to eating WAY too much of this play dough. My middle daughter ate so much that we didn't have any left to play with for next time! It's good although a tad sweet for me.

      I love your blog and the blog hop you host is too fun! Thanks for inviting me back. I plan to post next week. Have a great weekend!

      Delete