Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 17: Making No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Curious about what we're doing? We're making time each day in the month of July to play with our kids. That might mean doing arts & crafts, splashing in the kiddy pool, or playing dress-up, but whatever you do; turn off the computer, silence the phone, and give your children your complete, undivided attention. You will be blessed!

I have a sweet tooth and love to make desserts; however, it isn't often that I let the girls help me in the kitchen. Actually, Kate used to help me all the time, but Cora is just so messy and because she always wants to help, I usually cook/bake during naptime.

However, I decided to brave it today and make an easy no-bake cookie recipe. The girls were so excited that they were going to get to help mom in the kitchen and make cookies that they were fighting over who got to stand in the chair closest to me. Yes, really.

 They each got a turn pouring the ingredients into the pot. Kate stirred, then Cora.



Cora gorged herself on peanut butter straight out of the jar.


Then, Kate helped me drop the cookies onto the wax paper while Cora burned her fingers in her desperate attempts to eat them.


Despite some bickering and burned fingers, we {myself included} had a few good lessons in taking turns and being patient. All in all, though, we worked together and made some delicious cookies. 


Recipe: No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
 {recipe modified from Browneyed Baker}



Yield: 2 to 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooling Time: 30 minutes
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1. Add the first four ingredients to a 4-quart saucepan.
2. Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth, followed by the oats.
5. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto wax paper-lined baking sheets.
6. Let cool until set.
Do you cook with your kids? Is it enjoyable or not?  


Blessings to you,


Keri
     
For comments or questions, contact me at: growinginhisglory@gmail.com

Find Growing in His Glory on Facebook.

I would love to see more of you!  If you are encouraged by what you read here and would like to have posts from Growing in His Glory delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here.  Or you can subscribe in a reader of your choice in the right sidebar.

 

This post may be linked to:

     


4 comments:

  1. These look great! I will have to try these with my toddlers. We have a nut allergy in the family, but I bet they'd be great with sunbutter (our PB substitute). Found you via Jellibean Journals link-up. Thanks for sharing. Holli @ www.fullhands-fullhearts.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holli. I am sure sunbutter would work just fine although I've never tried it. Glad you stopped by. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun. The closest I've gotten to cooking with my baby so far has involved her peeking out of her baby carrier as I mixed up a batch of cookies. Can't wait to cook with her. Thanks for linking up with {Monday Mom Musings}, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet girls!! I have fond memories of cooking with both my parents when I was younger, which is probably why I like cooking now that I'm an adult. My baby is too young to help me cook, but I look forward to the day when we can work together in the kitchen.

    Incidentally, I've made a recipe similar to this before, but rather than drop the batter into cookies, I've just poured it into a 9x13 pan, let it cool, and then cut it into bars. The colling takes longer with the bars than the cookies, but you may be able to avoid some burned fingers. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete